Homecoming Parade to showcase clubs, court & teams

Keira Leitner, Staff Writer

Student Senate has been planning the annual Homecoming Parade set for this Thursday, Oct. 22 at 6 p.m. since the beginning of September.  The Tallmadge Police Department will escorting all of the floats on the route through the city. 

Advisor Anna Blasko said they are planning on about seven floats and 16 cars holding the Homecoming Court members to start in the Tallmadge High School student parking lot and going down East Ave, then towards the Circle, then heading to the Community Center.

The Tallmadge Police Department has been helping coordinate the plans along with the mayor’s office. 

Blasko said that, due to Covid, “we plan to hold the parade only that night. Normally there is an evening of events planned. Due to safety plans in place, we are able to have the parade as it has been set up.”

Senior officer Kelsie Horner said that she has been helping out with the Homecoming Parade since her freshman year. She said that the Student Senate officers and the class officers have been helping out. 

Horner said they plan to have the Homecoming Court, Student Senate, sports teams and other clubs who want to participate. 

“I am hopeful student groups are willing to sign up and be a part of the Homecoming parade along with the Homecoming court, Football team, cheerleaders and marching band,” Blasko said.

“There will be a car with each court member, buses for football players and cheerleaders, a junior class float, a Tallmadge Athletics Booster Club float, and the fire trucks and band.  There might be more,” Senior Class Advisor Julie Headrick said.  “We encourage spectators to line the parade route.  We want them to be socially distant, to smile, to wave and to cheer on the participants in the parade.”