Volleyball team wins District championship

Mia Marino, Online Editor

The volleyball team defeated Beaumont Saturday in the Division II Northeast District championship. The game went to five sets. In the first set, Beaumont took the lead by winning 25-19. However, Tallmadge turned it around in the second set by winning 25-21. By the third set, Tallmadge continued their momentum and took the win with the score being 25-15. Beaumont came back to tie the game in the fourth set with the score being 25-21. Tallmadge finished the game by winning the fifth and final set with the ending score 15-11.

“I felt very excited. In that moment I finally knew all our hard work had paid off,” senior Kelsie Horner said. 

This was the fourth year in a row that the Tallmadge volleyball team has made it to the District championship. However, this is the first year that Tallmadge took the District championship title, finishing as runner-up the past three seasons. The last time the Tallmadge volleyball team has won the District championship title was in 2012. 

“I am super excited. It’s been a long time coming, and I’m very glad we’ve won the game we’ve been trying to win every year,” senior Emma Eyre said. 

The volleyball team will start Regional play on Thursday night at Stow-Munroe Falls High School at 8 p.m. against Coventry.

Head volleyball coach Jim Maloof said, “I believe it’s going to be a really competitive match. Both teams are in the final top sixteen, so obviously it’s going to be a competitive game.”