Q and A with two musical leads

Maia Scavdis, Staff Writer

Sophomore Aubrey Sanderson

Q: Do you like the choice for this year’s musical? Why?

A: I absolutely love the choice of musical this year, since “Mamma Mia” is such a classic movie and Broadway show. The show appeals to such a wide age range since it has the ABBA music of the 70s, yet the first movie was released in 2008.

Q: Which role did you want, and why? Did you get the role?

A: As soon as I heard what the show this spring was going to be, I had my heart set on playing Sophie Sheridan. She is simply a young woman who is searching for a fairytale ending. Yet she has strength and depth to her, especially since she was raised by a single mother. When I found out that I was cast as Sophie, I was absolutely overjoyed.

Q: What is your favorite thing about the role you’re playing?

A: Portraying a character in your own unique way is a very interesting and sometimes challenging part about being in a show. I’m excited to add some of my own personality to the character, and make her feel as authentic as possible.

Q: Is this your first time playing a lead role? Are you nervous about it?

A: In last year’s spring musical at THS, “The Addams Family”, I played Alice Beineke, which is a supporting lead role. This will be my first genuine lead role. I am so grateful to Peter Culver, our musical’s very talented director, for giving me this amazing opportunity. When cast as a lead, being a bit nervous kind of comes with the territory since there is obviously more pressure to perform well. However, especially during the week of the performance, those nerves can fuel your energy and push you to perform your best.

Q: What are you most excited about with this performance?

A: Last year, with COVID-19, we were only able to have one live show, with a very limited amount of people invited for each cast member. I am so excited to say that we will have an open, live audience this year. The energy just isn’t the same without the applause and cheers from the audience and knowing that there are hundreds of people there to enjoy the same experience is very fulfilling.

Q: Is there anything you think will be particularly challenging with this musical?

A: I don’t think there is anything too challenging about the show personally. Probably just adding my own personality to the character as I stated earlier.

Q: What is your favorite thing about performing?

A: My favorite thing about performing would be seeing all your hard work and time pay off. Hearing the audience laugh and applaud while you perform really confirms that the audience is having a fun time, which is an amazing feeling.

Q: Is there anything else you’d like us to know?

A: There is a lot of music and dancing in “Mamma Mia” and quite a few large numbers with lots of movement and energy. Overall, the show will be a super fun experience for the cast and audience members since the show is energetic, comedic, big and fun.

Senior Jordan Boughner

A: I’m excited for this year’s musical. I think it’s a super fun choice. People love “Mamma Mia”, and I think it’ll be a great show.

A: I auditioned for Donna, and I got the role. I wanted to play her because she sings some of my favorite songs, and I love her relationship with Sophie.

A: I think my favorite thing about playing Donna is getting to work closely with Aubrey Sanderson as Sophie and Carey Cirullo as Tanya. 

A: I’m most excited to take my final bow on the Tallmadge High School stage during the performances. I’ve done every musical since my freshman year and this is such a full circle experience.

A: I think a challenge could be learning so many songs before we open in April. I’m looking forward to it, but it’s a big undertaking.

A: My favorite thing about performing is the energy. I love the live band playing, dancing with my friends, and hearing the audience laugh.

Q: This is your last performance with the high school, is performing something you’d like to continue to do after you graduate?

A: I’m actually going to college next year for theatre, so I definitely plan on continuing to perform. 

A: “Mamma Mia” opens in April, and it won’t be a show to miss.