Hudak heads to State in golf

Cory Michalec, Staff Writer

One of the best golfers to ever wear the blue and gold at Tallmadge High School, senior Darin Hudak is saving his best for last.  This past weekend the senior punched his ticket for the State tournament to be held in Columbus at The Ohio State University Scarlet Course Oct. 23 and 24.

“He is playing as well as he has played all season long,” Jon Shomo said, who is in his 17th season as head coach.  “He has faced very tough competition all season and continues to be at the top of the leaderboard.”   

Hudak shot two over par 73 at Pine Hills Golf Club to qualify as one of four individuals who will participate at the State tournament from the Northeast Division l District.  

The long driving, four-year letterman for the Blue Devils started the tournament trail with medalist honors, one over par 71, at the Sectional hosted by Windmill Lakes Golf Club.

The Blue Devil golfer started playing golf at “two or three years old” and was playing in tournaments by the age of five.  

“I like being outdoors on the course. I’ve always liked playing golf,” Hudak said.

If history tells fans anything, look for Hudak to be near the top of the leaderboard.  Hudak was a five- time medalist this season.    

Shomo said, “I would say Darin is one of the best golfers in our program’s history.  He falls inside the top five all-time and honestly probably the top two.”