Student volunteers to help with drive-in movie

Katie Patterson, Staff Writer

The Tallmadge Parks and Recreation Department will be showing “Hotel Transylvania” in the high school parking lot Oct. 31. The movie starts at 7 p.m. and is free to attend. 

“The drive-in is my senior project for the senior executive [board]. Every officer has a project. I am in charge of the community project, so I am working on the drive-in, then another one in spring. I am gathering volunteers to come to the drive-in,” senior Jackson Queen said. 

All of the class executive boards, Leaders in Action, National Honors Society, Photography Club, and Student Senate are helping with the drive-in.

This idea came about when it became clear that we were not going to be able to host the Street Dance as we traditionally have in the past due to COVID-19. I was looking through a few different Park and Rec groups on Facebook when I saw this idea. It is family-friendly and allows people to be socially distant without feeling as isolated,” Superintendent of Parks and Recreation Jessica Simons said. 

The movie night is replacing the Street Dance that the Rec Center usually hosts after trick-or-treating each year. 

Simons said, “When I was approached by Mrs. Headrick about having students involved in the event, I was excited. THS students have been a vital part of many of our programs and this was another opportunity to get them involved. I believe having the community involved in our events helps make them more fun and personal to the community.”

The THS students that are volunteering will be putting on family-friendly costumes and doing a reverse parade at the entrances of the parking lot. A group will also be helping to park cars and go around interacting with event attendees prior to the start of the movie. The volunteers will be socially distanced and have masks on.

“We are always looking for fun, new programs and events and ways to involve community volunteers. I love working with community partners and believe there are some great ideas out there. I hope that by creating these connections with students and others in the community, they feel comfortable bringing us ideas for programs, events and involvement. My door is always open and I welcome new, creative programming ideas,” Simons said. 

This program is sponsored by Serpentini Chevrolet of Tallmadge, Park Ford, AA Blueprint, Rine Agency, Sammie’s Bar and Grill, Sisko Dentistry, Maguire Legal Group, Jenkins Insurance Agency, Mosholder Realty, Speelman Electric and the Tallmadge Primetimers.