SENIOR SPOTLIGHT: Final fall season ends with personal, team accomplishments

Cirina Matos, Social Media Editor

The virtual fall sports banquet took place Nov. 17 at 6:30 p.m.  Athletic Director Tim Mosher emailed the athletes information with the All League honors and recognized each sport for their accomplishments.  Coaches then spoke with their teams through the virtual link.

FOOTBALL

Senior Noah Caffelle was a wide receiver for the football team, playing for 10 years and his entire high school career. Caffelle’s biggest motivator this season was himself. He stepped up as a leader for his final season, hoping to help turn the program around into the right direction. 

“My mind never stops raving about wanting to get better and what I can do to help the team,” Caffelle said.

Caffelle started the season differently than past years due to COVID-19. He was a leader when it came to fighting for a season. Although practices were happening, official games would not be held until October. Caffelle got his teammates to come together to peacefully protest by writing on the High School parking lot with chalk and meeting together at the MEC building. He even was able to have a one-on-one meeting with Superintendent Jeff Ferguson to discuss the 2020 season. Although Caffelle and his team faced a lot of challenges with back-lash from community members and other students, the boys did not give up. With the help of Caffelle, the football team’s starting date was moved up to Sept. 4, and they were able to play the entire season with zero COVID-19 cases. 

Caffelle has some colleges talking to him, but he has not yet decided where to take his talents. With many catches and his first touchdown being some of his many accomplishments, the many memories with his teammates, and of course the fight to play football, Caffelle said that his season is “one to remember.”

Other seniors were recognized at the virtual fall sports banquet Nov. 17. Senior Eli Zander earned 1st Team All Suburban League, and seniors Gunther Zehner and Nate Amato earned 2nd Team All Suburban League. Senior Reece Parry tied the school record for longest field goal made, being 43 yards.

CHEER

Senior Emma Sandy has cheered for 10 years, having started in second grade. Sandy said she has had “a great season,” giving the credit to her coaches and teammates for doing as much as they can to help the seniors have a great last season, come the circumstances. This season, Sandy has stepped up as a leader alongside the other senior cheerleaders. Sandy earned varsity MVP at fall sports banquet Nov. 17. Sandy said coach Nina DiFalco has been her biggest motivator, pushing her to always be better. 

GIRLS GOLF

Senior Chloie Brown golfed for four years, making many memories with her teammates. Brown said she is going to miss the setting and how fun it was to be around her teammates. One of her biggest motivators was Coach [Scott] Campbell. He always wanted her to be better than the day before. 

Brown said, “The end score doesn’t matter, as long as you had fun.”

Senior Golfer Gia Currey earned Honorable Mention All Suburban League at the fall sports banquet Nov. 17.

GIRLS CROSS COUNTRY

Senior Mackenzie Moran has been running Cross Country for six years and plans to continue running in college. One of her best memories was running at the State Cross Country meet. Her coaches and teammates always pushed her to meet her full potential, as well as her family always being by her side. Advice Moran has for her teammates is: “Running is a lifelong sport, so never be discouraged with where you are right now. There is always room for improvement.”

Moran earned 2nd Team All Suburban League at the fall sports banquet and senior Katrina Hunt earned Honorable Mention All Suburban League.

BOYS SOCCER

Senior Andrew Krukmeyer finished out his high school soccer career with many memories and motivators. Some of his motivators were his friends seniors Eric Solomon and Nik Kil, along with all of his teammates. Krukemeyer does not plan on continuing to play soccer in college but looks forward to focusing on his career and finances. Krukmeyer believes that his team as a whole should be recognized for their successes both on and often field. Krukmeyer said, “We’ve bounced back from a really tough season and spent time volunteering for our community. The character of the team is very impressive, they are all great guys.”

Seniors Will Hudak and Gavin West earned Honorable Mention All Suburban League, and Eric Solomon earned 1st Suburban League at the fall sports banquet, Nov. 17.

BOYS CROSS COUNTRY

Senior Tommy Naiman started running in sixth grade, and since then qualified for the State meet in 2019, and qualified this year alongside of the entire boys Cross Country team. Naiman does plan on taking his talents to the college level, with a few schools in mind. Although Naiman says he is excited to continue running in college, he says it will be a rough adjustment not having his teammates by his side. Naiman’s biggest motivators have been his coaches, friends and family. But, Naiman said, “At the end of the day, the most important person to keep you motivated is yourself. Why do it if you don’t enjoy it?”

Naiman earned 1st team All Suburban league, D2 All-Ohio placing 18th overall in the State meet, and Academic All-Ohio at the fall sports banquet Nov. 17. Senior Ben Jurjowksi earned Honorable Mention ALl Suburban League and Academic All-Ohio, senior Jackson Queen earned 2nd Team All Suburban League and Academic All-Ohio, and senior Dawson Ansley earned 1st team All Suburban League and Academic All-Ohio.

GIRLS SOCCER

Senior Halle Caruso had a rough start to her final season of soccer. After breaking her leg at the first scrimmage of the season, Caruso had to miss out on many games. Soon, she was able to bounce back and play alongside her teammates, and her sister, freshman Abby Caruso. One memorable moment being H. Caruso’s assist to her sister for the game winning goal in overtime against Northeast High School at the playoff game. Caruso plans on continuing soccer at the college level, but wants her teammates to know to “never give up, no matter how hard it gets and how much you feel like giving up. In the end, things will get better and the support for your team can truly get you through anything.”

BOYS GOLF

Senior Christian Rutan has been golfing for five years, four of them in high school. Rutan’s final season finished when  the boys team reached sectionals. Motivating him along the way were his coaches, parents, and teammates. Rutan said, “keep working and improving” to his teammates.

Rutan earned Honorable Mention All Suburban League and Academic All-Ohio at the fall sports banquet Nov. 17. Senior Darin Hudak earned Suburban League – American Conference Player of the year, 1st Team All-NEO District, OHSAA D1 Sectional Champ, finished the OHSAA D1 State Tournament and tied for 14th place, Academic All-Ohio, and set a new school record for lowest 9-hole average during a season, being 36.7.

VOLLEYBALL

Senior Kelsie Horner started playing volleyball in sixth grade, her final season being very successful. An accomplishment from this season was beating Highland in the fifth set, and, personally, reaching 1,000 career digs. Horner’s biggest motivator is her mom, who won the state championship when she was in high school, and played at the University of Akron. Horner’s advice for underclass men is “play ever moment like it’s your last.”

Horner earned 2nd Team All Suburban League and OHSVCA District 3 2nd Team at the fall sports banquet. Senior Emma Eyre earned 1st Team All Suburban League and OHSVCA District 3 2nd Team.