New wrestling coach takes over

Madigan Clum, Staff Writer

For the second time in less than six months the wrestling program has a new coach.  The new coach, Josh Potok, is a 2016 Tallmadge High School graduate and was a Tallmadge wrestler himself. 

”I like that I can make a positive impact on my athletes.  My favorite part is seeing someone’s hard work truly pay off and seeing how much progress they make throughout the season,” Potok said. “It’s the program I grew up wrestling in and I’ve known a lot of the guys on the team since they were young so this team is special to me.”

Potok has been wrestling since he was four and wrestled his whole way up through college.  This year will be his fourth year coaching wrestling.  He started his coaching career at Kent Roosevelt and then he coached at the Tallmadge Middle School for two years. 

“I plan on holding these guys accountable to achieving their goals and pushing them to be better every day on and off the mat,” Potok said. 

Along with changes in the coaching staff, another change for the wrestlers this year is their tournament schedule. Some tournaments have been canceled due to capacity limitations. 

Sophomore Jayden Potok, Josh’s brother said, ”I am very excited to have him as a coach. He’s been a mentor for me throughout my whole life and I know he’s going to push everyone in that room and make them the best they can be.”