Club advisors share hopes, plans for operations next school year

Shannon Koborie, Staff Writer

Due to COVID protocols to keep student contact at a minimum, all in-person club activities were put on hold in exchange for a virtual option via Google Meet. This left many clubs at a disadvantage, as clubs relying mainly on in-person activities or field trips had no choice but to forego operations altogether. Although there is no official news of clubs being approved to resume as normal next year, Pep Club advisor Julie Headrick has hopes that the cornhole tournament may have served as a beacon of hope for bringing back in-person club activities. 

“The cornhole tournament [is] the first activity that we’re doing outside of sports specific to homecoming or prom. That’s the first club activity that we’ve been allowed to do this year and my hope is that we’ll be able to continue next year with fundraisers like that, but nothing has been said for sure,” Headrick said.

Since pep assemblies and other large school events were not permitted, Headrick was largely unable to conduct any pep club activities this year. Should in-person clubs resume this coming school year, Headrick looks forward to holding these events to “bring that energy to the school that [she thinks] is gone this year”.

“I’m hoping that we can attend games, have a student section, and do tailgating like before and a lot of the things in the past that made the school spirit and people feeling connected to what’s going on,” Headrick said.

Spanish Club advisor David Slivka shares similar sentiments with Headrick, deciding to put the club on hold until it can resume in person. 

“[French Club advisor Julie] Metzger and I [are] both very much hoping that these restrictions get lifted and we can do field trips again. We were told that we cannot do field trips this year. We get on a bus three or four times throughout the year with Spanish Club, and we unfortunately could not do any of those,” Slivka said.

Since the restriction of in-person clubs began, students and advisors alike have come to further appreciate the value of getting together and connecting over common interests, especially for advisors who had to cease club activities altogether.

“I think even just the value of that experience and students feeling like they’re a part of what’s going on at the school is important. So, if you’re not an athlete you can still be a part of Pep Club, be involved in the athletic event and support,” Headrick said.

After a year of sitting on Google Meets, even the monotonous moments of club gatherings will be greatly appreciated if it means that students and advisors are finally able to spend time together outside of the classroom. 

“I know a 45-minute to an hour bus ride isn’t the most appealing thing in the world, but you get to know the kids. Especially some of the kids you haven’t had in class and the kids you have in class, you already have that ice breaker so you get to know them a little better,” Slivka said.