Blood drive scheduled for March 9

Aydin Sloan, Staff Writer

Donating blood remains an important part of society as it provides blood for those in need when it matters the most. Student Senate Advisor Anna Blasko remains the leading figure in the Tallmadge High School Blood Drive, which takes place March 9 in the main gym. 

Donors are required to be at least 16, must bring a valid ID on the day of the Blood Drive, and are able to sign up using the Google Form for Donors, or the Red Cross App for people 18+. Permission slips are required for people not 18+. 

I have used the app myself and have been pleased with how it helps with the donation process and all of the information I receive after having donated,” Blasko said. 

Important steps to giving blood include:

“Drink plenty of water the week before. Hydration is key. Continue to eat healthily. Eat a good breakfast of eggs, cereal, oatmeal, etc the day you donate and try to avoid caffeine as it blocks iron. eat foods rich in iron such as broccoli, leafy greens, red meat, beans, fruits, pumpkin seeds, tofu, whole grains, and dark chocolate,” Blasko said

Blood donation does not take long, which is why it is the perfect way for students to contribute to their community while in school. 

Blasko included a few pointers: 

• A lot of people listen to music, watch Netflix, or talk with a friend to help the time pass
  • The time to give blood depends on the person, typically 5-8 minutes
  • If you are well-hydrated donation times are lower

Donors are encouraged to donate blood but are not asked to do so all the time. 

“A healthy donor may donate red blood cells every 56 days, and double red blood cells every 112 days,” Blasko said. 

Incentives and more information include:

“All who come to give in March will receive a $10 Fanatics e-gift card, thanks to our partners at Fanatics, and an automatic entry to win a trip for two to the 2022 MLB® All-Star Game® in Los Angeles, California,” Blasko said. See rcblood.org/team for details.

• To help meet the needs of patients who are immunocompromised and may benefit from COVID-19 convalescent plasma (CCP), the Red Cross will resume testing all blood donations for COVID-19 antibodies on March 7, to identify potential units that can be manufactured into CCP. We hope that by testing all blood donations for COVID-19 antibodies, we may provide donors insight into their own COVID-19 antibody status.