Tallmadge schools transition to remote learning

Jackson Queen, Broadcast Editor

On Dec. 3, Governor Mike DeWine held a public briefing where he announced that five new counties have been moved to the “purple” category. Among those counties is Summit. Now that Summit is considered a “purple” county, the COVID-19 risk has been upgraded to “severe exposure and spread.” Due to this announcement, Tallmadge City Schools made the decision to transition to remote learning.

“The indications of increased community spread at the local, county, and state are alarming. We continue to struggle for coverage of classes on a daily basis. This increase of cases and quarantine are a challenge. The decision to go remote is not an easy one, but I believe it is the best way to provide for the safety of our students, staff and families,” Superintendent Jeff Ferguson said.

Tallmadge Schools are set to be remote from Monday, Dec. 7, until winter break, which starts Dec. 23. 

In an email sent to winter sports coaches and athletes, Athletic Director Tim Mosher informed the teams that winter sports will still continue as they originally planned. Practices will start Dec. 7 and contests will begin Dec. 14.

“At this time, all of our Middle School and High School athletic programs are still tentatively scheduled to return to practice on Monday, Dec. 7,” Mosher said.