National Honor Society inducts new members

Junior+Ashton+Bell+picks+up+her+flower+as+part+of+the+Induction+Ceremony+Nov.+10+in+the+auditorium.+

Cirina Matos

Junior Ashton Bell picks up her flower as part of the Induction Ceremony Nov. 10 in the auditorium.

Dylan Baumgardner, Online Editor

The induction ceremony for National Honor Society (NHS) members (a service organization for the betterment of the community) was held differently this year at Tallmadge High School. 

Teacher David Hungerford, serving in his first year as adviser for NHS, organized the induction, which happened Nov. 10 at 7 p.m.

“It was like a theatrical production with a lot of moving parts and participants. We had to reschedule twice due to sports playoffs and Trick or Treat night at Tallmadge,” Hungerford said on planning for the induction.

Not only had

the planning for the induction changed, but so had the experience for THS students who were inducted into NHS.

“It was so nice what they could do for us given the circumstances, and I’m truly blessed to have these faculty members and NHS officers here to go above and beyond for us,” junior Caroline Peters said, an NHS inductee. 

Because of COVID-19, the process of putting together the induction and making it happen was different from the previous years. One change was that they did not have an audience during the induction. The induction had been changed due to COVID-19, making the NHS Induction ceremony completely virtual for the audience including already inducted members.

“The ceremony has been scaled down with no current members other than officers and no family or friends permitted to attend. There was no reception after the ceremony,” Hungerford said. “On a positive note – the ceremony was live streamed on YouTube and recorded for future viewing.” 

The members that were inducted were: Lauren Adolf, Nickolas Archer, Madelyn Arnold, Kelsey Barker, Jacob Becks, Isaac Bee, Ashton Bell, Jack Bennett, Carey Cirullo, Emily Comko, Samuel Cortes, Alexis Davis, Sabrina Davis, Mason Dexter, Allison Golubski, Ruth Hayward, Farah Heestand, Tom Hoang, Benjamin Hudak, Ellaina Hudak, Kathryn Hudak, Katrina Hunt, Mia Hurst, Elena Kozma, Esther Layton, Kylie Macchiarole, Jack Markley, Benjamin McCauley, Thomas Naiman, Chandni Patel, Caroline Peters, Logan Phillips, Avery Randolph, Joseph Sabetta, Ethan Shahan, and Lauren Tan.